Saturday, October 22, 2011

Of Town & Country

I recently helped clean out the attic of my grandparents' house - a veritable time capsule of furniture, clothing, and piles and piles of papers and magazines accumulated over the past 65 years.  In one particular box, I came across a stack of vintage Town & Country magazines, some dating back as early as the 1920's!  Among the other books and papers, these stood out because of their magnificent covers.  The painted scenes depict upstanding individuals as well as document the leisure activities of privileged American life.  As the oldest continually published general interest magazine, in print since 1846, the cover artwork offer a surreal glimpse into a gilded period of our nation's past.

I think they would look really neat framed in a series - perfect for a hallway or study.  Conveniently, the Town & Country website offers a link to purchase hundreds of vintage cover prints.  I've picked out a few of my personal favorites...










Images via Art.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...